I started The Coaching Nest because I witnessed many talented high achieving women in leadership, from corporate executives to entrepreneurs, living and working in fast-paced, often command and control cultures. To add to the complexity we are coping with multi generational people where beliefs, attitudes and often rigid ways of thinking, made it almost impossible to succeed ! These amazing women were looking for coaching, mentoring, sponsorship and support but instead were left blindsided and disheartened by the silos and hidden systems. That is my story in a nutshell and I know I'm not alone! I asked:
“Is this sustainable, or will the next generation of women leaders become tired, exhausted, burned out and unprepared to lead. We want to lead but at what cost?"
Is it even worth it?
My answer; YES! But we need to do better!
Where I am today has not happened overnight or even in a short time frame – it has been a lengthy and often difficult process. One thing evolved into another, and with the determination of who I am, the clarity of what I wanted to do, and the resiliency of where I wanted to be, is why I am where I am today, and as a result, so is the Coaching Nest.
I am extremely curious about people's stories and often had open conversations with women and men of all generations. Sometimes, I was surprised by the intensity of fixed beliefs, mindsets and lack of empathy. After a pivotal conversation with my son during a work term with my business, we both discovered the power of intergenerational coaching conversations! It was at this time we both EMERGED STRONGER TOGETHER!
My gifts from childhood, adversity and for many years an undiagnosed eye injury, brought on a "do it myself", I can survive anything attitude! What I needed was support, understanding, and feedback from those that understood the implications of navigating this type of labyrinth. My coping mechanism was to work harder, longer and rarely ask for support. This is the TYPICAL GEN X response so ingrained in my formative patterns and values. It was disrupted by my son's need for connection and feedback during a work term with my business. He has ample competence and confidence to get the job done but did demonstrate typical Gen Z behaviors that left me feeling perplexed. My son always has, support and I realized a very different worldview from my own. Normally I love this, but on this one day I felt a need to understand more deeply what he was thinking. We turned to each other and entered a space where one simple, candid conversation restored hope to both our futures. It was pivotal! We both felt...
SEEN, HEARD and UNDERSTOOD
I felt invigorated to continue modelling the way so he witnesses candid, real people, willing to find meaning and purpose so they can serve and always listen to others! This is what all generations share!
I continue to envision and coach women of all generations and those who support them, to pursue a career and leadership journey that emerges from radical self-awareness. I call this, CALM (Career and Leadership Mastery) Power, a chance to return to ourselves and remember the sense of being whole again. Most people sacrifice their true self with a split personality of being one person at work and another in their personal life. I want to be an advocate for women and their allies to have an integrated leadership journey.
I want people to talk with each other!
That’s why I founded The Coaching Nest, a metaphorical symbol of a safe, compassionate, yet challenging space where all generations of women and those who support them are able to grow, AND prosper TOGETHER.
Let's HOLD EACH other CAPABLE!
What was my first catalyst for change?
During a lunch hour I found myself alone sitting on old concrete steps in the parking lot of my workplace and sighted a beautiful monarch butterfly that seemed out of place both in the context of where I was and how I was feeling! Yet, I took notice.
It was a serendipitous moment and the butterfly became a symbol of my leadership transformation. My hero’s journey began. I took a stance to find meaning, purpose and explore my own leadership presence. To show up present and fulfilled as both an organizational and now entrepreneurial leader in today’s world requires us to view change, adversity and the unexpected through the “eyes’ of growth and opportunity.
This is the work I do and Love!
I am now the CEO and Founder of The Coaching Nest, a Professional Certified and Accredited (PCC) Executive Career and Leadership Coach, who is passionate about helping high achieving women and leaders find the freedom to lead, despite command and control environments that do not invite change naturally. My love of nature, mindfulness, coaching and leadership have come together to form this confidential environment.
I feel called to do this through the expression of coaching.
Women are often naturally strong at taking a more servant leadership stance. We bring characteristics of femininity such as listening, empathy, healing, persuasion, collaboration and just "enough worry" to be keen and creative.
A Coach is NOT your EXPERT, instead, your transformational change advocate and strategic thinking partner!
I coach using mindfulness as a centering technique and apply this to life, leadership, team effectiveness and cultural change. I will greet you with warmth, compassion, humour and take a holistic view of your leadership challenges. I have experience in career and leadership coaching with managers, directors, leaders & entrepreneurs, including career transition.
I will help you build the stamina and resiliency, to Emerge STRONG with an authentic, focused, leadership presence grounded in a mindful and powerful approach called CALM POWER™. I help you tap into your own superpowers of self-awareness and innovation.
Together we form a powerful thinking partnership!
I have developed deep listening skills to hear what is the pivotal issue preventing you from achieving greatness!
When you work with a coach we accept that the capabilities of leaders can often exceed our own in many cases, so suspending the role of expert is key.
Who we work with:
- Emerging Multigenerational Women Leaders who are transitioning into a leadership role and those who support them. We unite generations together so you can be the bridge to you and your team.
- Women looking for a trusted Executive Coach to partner in building leadership capacity & coaching cultures, using meaningful intergenerational conversations.
- Overwhelmed and disengaged Leaders looking for their career to flow and flourish.
- Leaders and Executives who want clarity on their leadership brand expression to align with organizational, partner or joint ventures so all generations are seen, heard and understood.
- Emerging Leaders transitioning from Manager to Leader, Leader as Coach.
- Leaders unexpectedly out of work and looking for their next move.
- Women Leaders re-entering the workforce after babies, divorce, and other circumstances .
- Emerging Women Leaders wanting the courage to change and requiring clarity on their current career path, either in or out of an organization.
- Entrepreneurial Minded Women Employees (Intrapreneurs) and Entrepreneurs desiring leadership skills.
I love learning and you benefit!
MY COACHING ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC) with the International Coach Federation (ICF)
- Graduate Certificate in Executive Coaching (CEC) - Royal Roads University, Victoria BC
- The Neuroscience Academy Certification
- Becoming a Mindful Wellness Coach: Ann-Marie McKelvey - MCC
- Strong Mindfulness -Mindfulness Based Strength Practice (MBSP)
- Emotional Intelligence Coach in Positive Psychology Certification
- Social and Emotional Intelligence Coach (SEI)
- Certification from the Institute for Social and Emotional Intelligence (Includes Leader as Coach Certification)
- Retirement and Executive Career Coaching
- Certified Executive Career Coach
- Life and Business Coach Certification
- 10+years building a business and creating a variety of programs and offerings such as CALM Power™ and other Leadership and Coaching Competencies
- 10+years experience in a variety of roles: Sales and Branch Manager, Leadership Coach, Trainer, Facilitator and Human Resources Professional
- Full Member – International Coaching Federation
Our family lives in beautiful Nova Scotia, Canada. Both my husband and I have remained independent leaders in our careers.
We share the trials and joys of parenting a young Gen Z leader, small business ownership, and a host of other complexities in our ever changing world. We maintain a deep appreciation for everyday moments and strive to live a contemplative life through nature, spiritual seeking & mindfulness.
We are privileged to support two beautiful children in Haiti and Guatemala as well as providing monthly contributions to Operation Smile, Doctors without Borders and other charities we value. In addition, I am the past NS ICF Representative, and ICF Atlantic Board Member and Member of ICF Global.